Loving Alzheimer's

There’s a touching story in the Boston Globe newspaper about an elderly couple where one half is on the slow slide of Alzheimer’s disease. Rita began to forget even her husband of 61 years, Sol. The 89-year-old man became so depressed that, according to him, he “was shaking all over and I thought I was about to have a nervous breakdown.” Then, he had an idea: “I got in bed with her and loved her up and I got rid of all my depression.”

Now Sol goes to the nursing home every day to love up Rita. He spends three hours singing old songs, taking her out to the garden, or lying next to her in bed, squeezing her shoulder, pressing his face into hers and kissing her. According to the nurse’s aid, Rita “couldn’t move at one point, and now she gets up looking for him—every guy that passes by, she says ‘Sol!’”

Such a lovely way to go.

Read the full article, “A healing touch,” on the Boston Globe website

Comments

Jenny said…
Wow ... I'll say. Lovely story. Thanks P.L.!

Popular posts from this blog

Anizo 100% Reality Mind

You're On My Mind, For $1,000