My Cartoon Collection (#6)

Something fer the noggin from Calvin the boy and his stuffed but imaginatively real tiger, Hobbes.

This cartoon learns me something new! I'd argue that the writing in this Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson could stand on its own, without drawings. It's a short story about philosophy, math, and religion. But Mr. Bill's energetic illustrations slather on the humor. Put that lecture in the mouth of a cute kid talking to his stuffed tiger and, well, if Calvin can understand this philosophy stuff, maybe I can too.

Here’s a breakdown:

Calvin (doing homework): You know, I don't think math is a science. I think it's a religion.

Hobbes: A religion?

Calvin: Yeah. All these equations are like miracles. You take two numbers and when you add them, they magically become one new number! No one can say how it happens. You either believe it or you don't. This whole book is full of things that have to be accepted on faith. It's a religion!

Hobbes: And in the public schools, no less. Call a lawyer.

Calvin: As a math atheist, I should be excused from this.

Official Calvin and Hobbes website and Wikipedia. The image is from Atheist Philosopher, which I stumbled upon when looking for comic thingamigigs. Some interestin' stuff.

Comments

Maureen said…
Probably my favorite strip of all time. The artwork,the writing,the characters. Nothing like it before, nothing like it since. Gee, I miss that ol' tiger...

Maureen
Stale Coffee

Popular posts from this blog

You're On My Mind, For $1,000

Anizo 100% Reality Mind