My Cartoon Collection (#20)

Lady, I concur.

This one’s just plain weird. Hence its inclusion in my personal Cartoon Collection. The humor here is about contrast: contrast between a surreal super wave in an in-ground pool and the calm every-day reaction of the cartoon people involved. That’s all I have to say about that.

Tom Cheney drew this beaut but he didn’t come up with the caption. Instead, it was the winner in a recent New Yorker cartoon caption contest. If you wanna try your hand at the next one, go to newyorker.com/captioncontest. Losing was never so funny.

A couple sits poolside. The stunned man looks up from his newspaper at the huge wave about to break—onto them. The woman, still reading her novel, says, “I told you this house was too close to the moon.”

Go see more of Tom Cheney's funnies on this New Yorker page or buy stuff with this cartoon on it.

Comments

gets a big har har from me, but then I am kinda "looney"!
Rick Rockhill said…
oh I like that one!
Gledwood said…
Talking about cartoon collections... you don't happen to collect Comics do you?

American comics are SO different to English ones.

The British ones were for schoolchildren... whereas American ones were for adults with children's minds... very different...
P.L. Frederick said…
Fascinating, Gledwood. No, I wasn't aware of the differences in comic audiences. I do know that people in the U.S. who don't read comics tend to side with the English.

I don't collect comics per se, but I do have the habit of hoarding papery amusements. I love printed works! Any recommendations?

P.L. Frederick
SMALL & big

Popular posts from this blog

You're On My Mind, For $1,000

Anizo 100% Reality Mind