Chickens Go Feral Quick

Hens that are fed in the out-of-doors as mine are attract turkeys. If left unguarded and free to do as they please, a tom turkey will ask your free-range flock of hens out on a date, and the probable consequence of this is you’ll never see them again. All you’ll have to remember the gals by is a “cluck-cluck bok-bok” brought to you on far-off winds, and the occasional discovery of an egg tucked into the crotch of a pine tree. Where true love is involved, chickens go feral quick.

Comments

Rick Rockhill said…
I must admit, its something I never thought of, and never knew...until now!
P.L. Frederick said…
Forgive me but I don't think my tale is strictly 100% true, or at least have a happy romantic ending, because chickens don't necessarily survive so long. At least here in the North where I am. There's the winter temperature and their deliciousness to many animals. But I've heard tales. Wild tom turkeys are definitely very curious about our hens, who have no rooster of their own. The tom spend lots of time trying to figure them out, and calling to them in his native tongue, I guess you'd call it. They don't cross breed.

Wild chickens are all over the island of Kauai in Hawai'i. Frickin' all over. And those roosters are loud.

Popular posts from this blog

You're On My Mind, For $1,000

Anizo 100% Reality Mind