Health Insurance: Turning 40 Is A 25% Increase

I recently turned 40. As a birthday gift my health care insurer kindly increased my fees $70 a month. Boy, I sure must be valuable! Blue Cross, here’s a thank-you note just for you:

Dear Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts,

You gave me quite an ego boost there! I discovered that turning 40 increased my value 25%. When I called the Massachusetts government’s Health Connector thing to find out why I was now valued at $xxx a month, on the cheap-o plan, the lady said insurance fees usually increase every five years, for the rest of my life. I said, “That’s crazy.” But I meant “crazy” as in “I’m so honored.” She said, “I know.” So the only way to reduce my value will be death. Or taxes. I forget how that saying goes. (When I was 39 I knew.*)

Hey, could you take my temperature, I feel a bit ill? Ha ha! Just kidding!* We both know you don’t provide “actual” health care. Just the illusion of it, wrapped in sparkly red wrapping paper that I say to symbolize black and white insurance forms with teensy check boxes and “HMO” and “Tier 1” and “PCP” (Ha hah! Talk about a “drug” plan!); because, after all, I don’t pay doctors or hospitals, I pay you, you take a profit and then you give some to doctors or hospitals. O’ course, first they need to spend 50% of their week filling out your red wrapping paper to complete the circle of giving.

That is, if I ever needed a doctor or hospital. Either way, you keep my moolah. This is nice because it provides a built-in thank-you gift from me: my way of giving back. Cheers!

Fondly,
P.L. Frederick

* A little joke. Please don’t take this as evidence that I am in anything less than perfect health, or that I use my insurance, for anything, ever. We know what that’d do to my valuation!

Comments

health insurance help us from unpredicted conditions
P.L. Frederick said…
For many health insurers, the focus is to make money for their business. That's fine. It's the American way. I just wish I had a way to get around the middleman and pay fees directly to those who provide me with care, nurses and doctors, and reduce everyone's paperwork in the process.

Popular posts from this blog

You're On My Mind, For $1,000

Anizo 100% Reality Mind

The Thing About A Sting