"Slasturd" Should Be A Word

Slasturd. That’s the word Blogger asked me to type for “word verification” purposes. (It has always given me made-up words so I’m not sure about that “verification” part.) I was commenting about a crocheted meerkat over at Water Rose when Blogger told me to type “slasturd” into its little box there. This is an awesome word! Awesome, I type convincingly with no evidence to support my claim other than the awesomeness of the word itself. Look at it. It glows. Plus, it is proof that computers have intelligence, as measured by the Amusezinger Scale of Justice, a world-renowned scientific and philosophical theorem I made up.

People, I want to open the diction-ary and find this listed as a real, live word. Like “Pinocchio,” which, until it appeared in that Disney cartoon, wasn’t a real word. Some ideas on what we could use slasturd for:
  • An annoying person with a knife
Okay I can’t think of anything else. But I’m sure you can. (As Homer Simpson put it, you're “s-m-r-t.”) Define it. Share your ideas by commenting on this post. Best one will get talked about on Small & Big. I’ll link to the winner and everything like that that doesn’t cost me a cent.

Submit your entries by May 1, 2010. Unless no one enters, in which case there’s no deadline.

Comments

Waterrose said…
Sometimes I just have to sit and stare at some of the words it comes up with. When I first began blogging the letters formed no words at all...seems that over the last year someone has decided to take an attitude of amusement with seemingly word combination's...
Anonymous said…
Firstly, thank you. I was unaware that I look lovely. I'm kinda blushin' a little.

Ahem! I love it! Granny J, over at Walking Prescott blogspot had a similar idea months ago--and I never see a 'captcha' word without thinking of it--to make up a definition for each captcha word(that's what they're really called. Didn't you know that?;-)...uh, anyway, make up a definition for each one and post them...somewhere. She wanted it to be a "movement" and I tried, but at the time not so many were using word verification(very suggestive terminology, I agree), so it seemed to go nowhere. Seeing more of it these days, what with spam rising and all, so maybe it's time...?

Anyways, on to "slasturd." I gotta admit, that's a really good one. My definition: a guy(or gal; gotta be modern!;-) who doesn't pay his/her child support. See: "slacker," plus "turd," and the "s" in the middle, we all know what that stands for. Right?

Howzzat? You gonna talk about me now? ;-)

PS: Crap! I just looked again. I gotta wait 'til May 1st!

So anyhow, wanna start a captcha word dictionary revolution? I'm sure Granny J would be delighted. And we'll all get to purge some subconscious bs and whatnot...it'll be fun!

Eh?
P.L. Frederick said…
So them "word verification" words are called captchas? Well, I'll be. Whoever came up with that has a strong Bahston accent. For example, "I captchad a buttafly in my net." And there's a movement to make 'em woids? This I will investigate, for I am mighty interested. Thanks for the heads up!

So far you're the only entrant, A.Decker. Nice entry and you may win by default. It'd be like a double win, only by half.
P.L. Frederick said…
I found a link A.Decker was referring to about making definitions for these "captcha" words: http://walkingprescott.blogspot.com/2009/04/memphis-azaleas-jabberwocky-meme.html.
David said…
It's obvious what a SLASTURD is. The SLA is The Special Libraries Association (SLA) and was founded in 1909 in the state of New York and is now the international association representing the interests of thousands of information professionals in over eighty countries worldwide. It is comprised of special librarians who are information resource experts that collect, analyze, evaluate, package, and disseminate information to facilitate accurate decision-making in corporate, academic, and government settings.

STURD: nerd (nurd) + stud = sturd.

Therefore, SLASTURD is a studly nerd who is a member of SLA.

Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but that's all I got :o)
Unknown said…
Slasturd - Gotta be a new spread for a Reuben sandwich. Mix of mayo, mustard, horseradish & Tabasco. The sl is for slathering it on. I leave the rest of the phonics to the more phonetically-apt (or is it ept? Opt?)

P.S. If such a thing already exists, please accept my apologies. My excuse is that I live under a rock somewhere in central Alabama.
P.L. Frederick said…
Nice definitions, folks. Time's running short... Keep 'em coming!

Popular posts from this blog

Shovel Trouble

15 Albums That Changed My Life, Not That You Asked

You're On My Mind, For $1,000