As The World Turns


My cartoon for the June issue of the Pet Gazette. Last month’s cartoon, Romancing the Garbage, didn’t print in the newspaper as well as could be, so this time I went with a pure black-and-white line drawing, and with three panels instead of six. I’m still trying to find my style.

Ack, I have a pimple in my ear. Why do I have a pimple in my ear?

Pineapple Pete started out as a cat (it’s one of 100 nicknames I call my kitty), but the peanut gallery thought a goldfish was funnier. I was also contemplating a ferret but I’ve never lived with a ferret. I’ve never had that special connection of being owned by a furry snake with legs.

(A shout out to all the pet dogs, cats, horses, parakeets, hamsters, bunnies, honey bees, chickens, chameleons, guppies, goldfish, sunfish, snakes, turtles, hermit crabs, Sea Monkeys, and rocks in my past! Sorry if I missed anyone. There are only so many letters in the alphabet.)

Comments

Bill White said…
Love it, Paula! Your best yet. The PG folks are getting a bargain in you!

What materials did you use to draw this?
Chris Sabatino said…
Hey, P.L., this is really a great toon (and so true!). I love your illustration style!
P.L. Frederick said…
Wow, tanks guys. :-) This cartoon has had the most positive feedback so far. It's nice to hear I'm on the right track.

Bill, it's done with a Faber-Castell Pitt pen, with details and lettering in Micron pens (a 03 and 01, I think). But then I imported it into Illustrator CS4 and converted the lines to nice solid blacks. The original drawing is only about 7" square (prints in the paper at 5-1/2" or 6").

I do wish I'd put in two more "Hi!"s. My favorite part is the king's mustache. It's like going through the car wash.
Steve Bush said…
I agree, this is a pretty funny comic. I've had a few aquariums and acted like this with my fish. Just found your through Entrecard. This site is like a hidden diamond in the rough!

Popular posts from this blog

You're On My Mind, For $1,000

Anizo 100% Reality Mind