A Cartoon I Did Based On A Cartoon Roz Chast Did

Copying another cartoonist’s work is priceless. You’ll learn about process and style in ways reading and enjoying cannot. At least, that’s what I heard. So I took one of my favorite cartoonists, Roz Chast, and copied her cartoon, “On Display at the Children’s House of Horrors.” Then I made a second one in her style (if she drew only in black and white, I'm too lazy to color it in), only with my stuff in it. Here it is:


And you know what? It worked. Even though I expected to gain some understanding I was surprised just how much. Although my fruits and veggies are too crowded, my cat shampoo is too crowded, and, as in real life, I wish I had not stuck toddlers in display cases, overall it was fun and I feel I know her cartooning much better. I also learned that her style is not mine, and knowing that helped bring me closer to my style. Whatever that might be.

(Actually, since I drew this I have discovered my style! Only took two years. I hope to share it this summer. Maybe after watermelon season.)

Click here for Roz Chast's bio on The New Yorker website.

Theories of Everything: Selected, Collected, and Health-Inspected Cartoons, 1978-2006 The Party After You Left The Joy of Worry

Comments

Sparkle said…
Oh no! Your drawing gave me a headache just looking at it. Now I will have nightmares tonight - my human won't even need to wonder why my paws are twitching.
Bill White said…
This IS an excellent exercise, Paw-luh, and I think anyone who draws can benefit from trying it. It's even more fun if you pick an artist who's style is completely different from your own (We hadda do that in "art" school).

I don't think your cat shampoo pic is too cluttered. It's just that Roz separates details with washes to make you look where she wants you to. You can do the same thing with line weights and by spotting blacks.

I'm glad you finally "discovered" your style. I discovered your style a while ago, and I think it's aces!
P.L. Frederick said…
Tanks, Bill! You made my day. :-)

Copying a style that's unlike my own, huh? Interesting. I'll do it. There are two particular cartoon styles that I am not fond of, although I appreciate the artist and the fact that the styles are so unique. Copying either should do the trick. I'll keep the barf bag handy.
P.L. Frederick said…
...And my sincere apology to Sparkle the Cat. Sparkle, may your human be completely unaware of the very existence of wee top hats with holes for ears.
Jenny said…
Well, I love it although I am no stripe of a cat person and if you hadn't told me you copied someone, I never would've known.

Also we wash our Chihuahua in the sink exactly like that! I blogged about it recently.

Popular posts from this blog

Shovel Trouble

15 Albums That Changed My Life, Not That You Asked

The Thing About A Sting