Scooby Doo And You

Scott had two years of mechanical drawing in high school. He didn’t go to art college, not even to a two-year community college. Yet today Scott is a successful cartoonist, teacher, and caricaturist. He draws Scooby-Doo, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd n’ Eddy, Dexter’s Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, Winnie the Pooh, Pokemon, Strawberry Shortcake, Shrek, and others. Obviously he has skill galore. But he also has something inside that led him onward, that lifted him during the times when others didn’t notice his skill: inner drive. He says:
No one was really on my side when I set out to do it. Once I made it, then everyone was on the Scott Neely Train... but there was like seven or eight years that I alienated everyone just chasing the dream. At a point it was like being in a rock band and you knew that you were going to hit it big. You just knew it and I can't explain it anymore than that. I felt strong about it and just stuck it out and worked a part time job to sustain me. Most don't make it unless they are driven to then make a point of it. I wanted to prove people wrong and I did.

The quote’s from a great interview of Scott Neely and others — over at David Wasting Paper. It gave me the “You can do it!” good-feelin’ vibe. Maybe it will you too.

This reminds me of the “Outliers: The Story of Success” book by Malcolm Gladwell. How do successful people become successful? The main way, according to Gladwell, is being helped by others: by a parent, a teacher, a coach, a mentor, etc. Basically, someone gave them a break.

Until then, there’s always inner strength. If you love what you do — have determination and keep at it. Face towards your joy and move towards it. That break will come. A nice one.

Scott’s website/blog at scottneelyart.blogspot.com (Scott Neely's Scribbles and Sketches).

Comments

SNeelyArt said…
Thanks for the posting! Glad you dug what I said in that interview. I must have struck a chord. My first ScottCast also kind of talks about it as well as how I got started.
P.L. Frederick said…
Boy did I. Folks, here's the information on the Scottcast and a way to listen: scottneelyart.blogspot.com/2009/08/scottcast-episode-1.html.

Popular posts from this blog

Shovel Trouble

15 Albums That Changed My Life, Not That You Asked

You're On My Mind, For $1,000