Giant Pumpkin Thinking

Pumpkin Eyes

Six years ago I went to the Marshfield county fair and left with an application for Bee School. Life changed significantly afterward, as can be seen by cupboards full of honey, homemade mead (nothing like that sweet crap sold in stores), and, of course, that degree from B School. Today I left the Topsfield fair carrying three giant pumpkin seeds and an instruction pamphlet. What can I say: who wouldn’t feel compelled to beat this year’s winning pumpkin weight of 1,400 pounds? The man in the Fruits and Vegetables Barn informed me that giant pumpkin growing is not a hobby but a sport. I started to argue but then remembered about Golf.

On perusing the pamphlet, I saw another reason giant-pumpkin growing is very like golf: club fees. It takes $15 to become a member of the New England Giant Pumpkin Growers Association, or NEGPGA. (PGA!) I don’t know what I get for that. I expect it involves golf carts and a secret clubhouse sited inside a pumpkin, and is presided over by a chap named Jack O’Lantern.

Comments

Flashtrigger said…
The secret clubhouse inside a pumpkin would be well-worth my $15....
P.L. Frederick said…
I concur. Not only do I have my fingers crossed about this but also my toes and eyes.

Popular posts from this blog

You're On My Mind, For $1,000

Anizo 100% Reality Mind