101 Tom Swifties

A Tom Swiftie is a short joke that uses a slightly different double meaning for an adverb. I found this exercise fun, and not as hard as it might seem. It’s an enjoyable way to expand your humor abilities, from Gene Perret’s book, “How to Write & Sell Your Sense of Humor.” The one-liner must finish with a word ending in -ly, and that final word can be the real use, a new definition, or a brand new made-up word. You’ll see. Read on, and see how I spent Sunday night. What’s in bold is what I like best.
  1. “I saw a UFO,” he cried spacily.

  2. “This deodorant ain’t working,” the teen sniffed strongly.

  3. “Gasp,” his mom whispered faintly.

  4. “Students, you have 10 minutes to complete this exam,” the teacher said testily.

  5. “I got my barber’s license!” he said cuttingly.

  6. “I wonder what it’s like to race the Iditarod,” Lady said doggedly.

  7. “Cold,” purred Whiskers cattily.

  8. “My vein doctor says I’m a special case,” Vivian said vainly.

  9. “I’ve found my ideal model,” the artist mused.

  10. “Oh that? It’s in the haystack,” he pointed needily.

  11. “I read your notes,” he sang musically.

  12. “So I heard,” she said eerily.

  13. “That’s not allowed,” the tattle-tale told aloudly.

  14. “Anyone seen my lungs?” he asked breathlessly.

  15. “I’m never early,” Joe said belatedly.

  16. “Me neither,” Joe Jr. said lately.

  17. “Let’s neck,” offered Giraffe longingly.

  18. “Sorry, I’m stuck in here,” growled Lion cagily.

  19. “I like a cushy seat,” said Grampa softly.

  20. “Let’s have another slice of pie then,” Gramma said fatly.

  21. “I believe in mythical creatures,” Diane said controllingly.

  22. “How about talking books?” the dictionary asked readily.

  23. “And tiny winged women?” asked Tinkerbell fairyly.

  24. “I’m starching laundry,” Dad said ironically.

  25. “If anyone wants me I’ll be at Marker Market,” Mark said markedly.

  26. “Is anyone else full of hot air?” the red balloon asked highly.

  27. “Gravity is hard,” Rock heaved heavily.

  28. “Oh joy, time for a filibuster,” the Senator puffed airily.

  29. “I’ll never get to wear a bra,” the girl stated flatly.

  30. “Don’t make mountains out of molehills,” Aunt Maybelle insisted plainly.

  31. “Let’s slice up that hot pizza,” Kalvin offered peacefully.

  32. “I’m against that and my people will fight your pizza to the death,” Jane threatened warfully.

  33. “I’ve driven too far today,” the trucker said tiredly.

  34. “And I’ve eaten too much broccoli and beans,” her husband fumed gasily.

  35. “I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that,” Hal said robotically.

  36. “Nobody’s faster’n me,” Rabbit gushed quickly.

  37. “So your pretty wife tells me,” Turtle put out slowly.

  38. “I wish I’d brought my flashlight,” Joe said delightedly.

  39. “Then we’d be enlightened,” Carl said lightly.

  40. “May I be of help?” Moon asked brightly.

  41. “I don’t see your point,” he said blindly.

  42. “Because it’s the proper suit to wear on my birthday,” said the nudist openly.

  43. “Please put on these pants,” his mom whispered close-mouthedly.

  44. “How’ll they know it’s my birthday?” he asked happily.

  45. “I’m building this for my girlfriend, using only the best sticks and bits,” Mr. Bluebird said honestly.

  46. “Isn’t he handsome,” Ladybird twittered cheaply.

  47. “But I came in last place,” Michael said finally.

  48. “They call me the Ice Queen,” she cracked coldly.

  49. “So? They call me the Stinky Bishop,” he said cheesily.

  50. “But I’m actually a kind of Cheddar,” he added sharply.

  51. “Anyone else for a slice?” she asked cuttingly.

  52. “Make this font stand out more,” the typographer said boldly.

  53. “What if you were a ballerina like me?” she posed gracefully.

  54. “Why don’t you climb up and see me sometime,” Mae West blinked staringly.

  55. “I prefer not to fly. I’ll stay here on the ground, thank you,” Clay insisted earthily.

  56. “Your days are numbered,” the insurance adjuster added mathematically.

  57. “Vroom. I’m a 12-cylinder speedster,” the car said mechanically.

  58. “I’m fired?” Cathy asked hotly.

  59. “Let’s build another peat fire,” Glen said repeatedly.

  60. “You two, hurry up and make me a grandmother,” Ma ordered grandly.

  61. “I have a monopoly on winning Monopoly,” she said gamely.

  62. “Bankers ruined all my investments,” retirees and widows cried poorly.

  63. “And our company won’t give us the retirements we were promised,” they added again tirelessly.

  64. “Retirement? A lot can change in 40 years,” management insisted amorally.

  65. “I’m a cardiologist, a heart doctor,” she offered lovingly.

  66. “I could drink a twelfth glass of water,” Flo sloshed drunkinly.

  67. “And make it a double,” she said wetly.

  68. “Why? Why, oh why, oh why? Why why why why-why? Why?” the Riddler asked questionly.

  69. “Let’s do the teeter-totter, the swings, the slide, the merry-go-round, and dodgeball,” Kylie panted playfully.

  70. “No fun allowed while you’re on the clock,” her supervisor ordered bossily.

  71. “Anyone up for a double-chocolate donut?” Max mouthed gnawingly.

  72. “I could eat a whole dozen Munchkins,” Emma said holily.

  73. “Oh God,” he swore prayerfully.

  74. “I’m really ticked off,” Dad hollered frantically.

  75. “That the dog’s covered in ticks,” he added practically.

  76. “More buttercreme frosting,” the decorator dripped icily.

  77. “I seem to have died,” he said lifelessly.

  78. “Seven days,” she started weakly.

  79. “I’m pretty sure it’s 365,” he insisted yearly.

  80. “We are identical twins,” the boys said reflectively.

  81. “I ate a dentist,” the shark said bitingly.

  82. “I’ve lost ballast,” the hot air balloon shot upwardly.

  83. “We’ll give ourselves raises,” managers promised supportively.

  84. “That’s the last time I exit a window pane,” the saloon cowboy promised painfully.

  85. “I made fire from flint and a stick,” the Cub Scout said strikingly.

  86. “Five. Six. Seven,” she said measuredly.

  87. “To get to the other side,” he joked unfunnily.

  88. “For two years and 16 months I was lost in the desert,” Lawrence said dryly.

  89. “I’m allergic to wool,” the shepherd bleated sheepishly.

  90. “I lost the forest for the tree,” the lumberjack cut woodenly.

  91. “Ticket prices are cruel,” the theater-goer cried movingly.

  92. “And the films, so loud we bring earplugs,” the audience agreed earfully.

  93. “Wait, I’m in the hospital,” she said patiently.

  94. “Go get ’em!” the coach urged forgetfully.

  95. “Finally, a clean window,” Dad said clearly.

  96. “This jelly requires additional sugar,” Katrina said tartly.

  97. “That doesn’t count,” the numerologist insisted numbly.

  98. “I know my butt looks big in these pants,” I said assuredly.

  99. “You have the right to remain silent,” the officer began arrestingly.

  100. “I found a dime,” the boy cried centennially.

  101. “I’ll put just one more,” she typed additionally.

If you read all these you get a gold star.

For the backstory on this humor thing, see my previous post, I Can Learn To Be Funny?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey - these are fantastic - I don't know why anyone would ever try to write another t. swiftie ever again.
P.L. Frederick said…
My new best friend!
Bill White said…
I wanted to comment with a Tom Swiftie, but I think you thought of them all.
P.L. Frederick said…
"The English language was used up quick," she typed swiftily.
Anonymous said…
I had the same thought as Mr. Bill White and then. . . you went and wrote another one. Very cool, very humbling. But. 'This posting should have 100 comments by now,' he said, you know 'something-thing-ing-ly.'

Popular posts from this blog

You're On My Mind, For $1,000

Anizo 100% Reality Mind