I Can Learn To Be Funny?

There’s this book in the library by some joker. It hypothesizes that anyone can learn how to think funny. Well, I’m anyone. I take it out of the local library—for free! (libraries are amazing)—bring it home and realize that there’s a reason it’s called Comedy Writing Workbook and not Comedy Writing Coloringbook or Comedy Writing Doughnut. There are assignments, research, and work involved. Who knew?

When the library late fees kick in I find I’m still working on the first assignment from Mr. Gene Perret’s book. This is quite the useful book, I think, What the hey, I’ll spring $12 for a used copy on Amazon. Three weeks later it is yesterday and still no book. I email the seller. “It’s coming,” she says. I cross my fingers.

This afternoon it arrives. I gently slide the manilla envelope off my precious new, old banged up, creased paperback. It smells a bit like old people (not the cute kind). Curse it—the previous owner has written notes in thick black ink. I fire off an email to the seller over my ill-spent purchase: “Pages have been written on. This isn’t at all the condition I expect for $12.”

I thumb through my book again, examining the handwriting more closely. What the—? The handwriting is part of the printed book. Hah hah ha! Oh, that Mr. Gene Perret. Excuse me a moment as I email an apology to the seller, making this story way longer than we expected when I began typing and you began reading...

Okay, I’m back. The front of the book says it’ll show me how to “think funny.” I think it’s working.

My original point is that I’ll be sharing my book assignments here by posting them. Feel free to add your criticisms, critiques, and caterwauls. Whatever it is you do over there. Hopefully, I’ll become so funny that you’ll some day say, “Yeah well, I knew P.L. Frederick when she or he was not at all funny. Or attractive. Or tall.”

- - - - -

- - - - -
Portions of the book completed so far:
  1. 1A: My Collection Of Favorite Jokes – March 15, 2007

  2. 1B: My Collection Of Favorite Quotes – March 20, 2007

  3. 1C: My Collection Of My Favorite’s Favorites – March 23, 2007

  4. 1D: My Collection Of Favorite Cartoons – September 28, 2007

  5. 2A: A Rose By Any Other Name – October 5, 2007

  6. 2B: Mrs. Malaprop’s Affliction – October 12, 2007

  7. 2C: The Dictionary Must Be Wrong – October 15, 2007

  8. 2D: So You Wanna Be Noah Webster – October 22, 2007

  9. 2E: Fun With Puns – October 24, 2007

  10. 2F: One Person’s Idiom Is Another Person's Straight-Line – November 12, 2007

  11. 3A: A Picture Is Worth 1,000 Punchlines – January 15, 2008

  12. 3B: Pen And Ink Patter – Ongoing, and I ain’t gonna post ’em (“them” being 1,300 losing entries for The New Yorker magazine weekly caption contest)

  13. 3C: Inanimate Playhouse – July 1, 2008 (I admit defeat. I’m skipping this one.)

  14. 4A: That Goes With This – July 7, 2008

  15. 4B: This Doesn’t Go With That – July 10, 2008

  16. 4C: That Makes Absolutely No Sense At All – July 14, 2008

  17. 4D: What Can You Say About So-And-So? – August 5, 2008

  18. 5A: Say It With Pictures – August 13, 2008

  19. 5B: Say It With Funny Pictures (Part 1 and Part 2) – August 18, 2008

  20. 5C: The Bobsled Man’s Bottom – August 29, 2008

Comments

changapeluda said…
I love love love the library! Cool place to Quietly read...everything is FREE. What's not to love? Whomever invented the library: Genius!

And you're funnier already. Since the last time I came here, anyway.

:0]
P.L. Frederick said…
And funnier looking.

P.L. Frederick
SMALL & big
Kyle V said…
Hey, I know this is an old post, but I can't help notice that I too worked on the Comedy Writing Secrets book and felt it was a bit inadequate (for my purposes anyway).

But this was a long time ago, and I've soon crafted my own style of humor, and now I'm dedicated to teaching people how to become funny themselves. Neat, eh?

You don't sound too shabby yourself, but if you're interested please check out my site on how to be funny--maybe you might learn a thing or to, and maybe you'll see one of my tips, make someone laugh, and think beautiful thoughts about me.

Or maybe not. Either way, I know this post is 5 years old, but I hope you haven't given up on sharpening your wittiness knife. It's often frustrating, and usually fun.

Let me know what you think. :)

-Kyle
P.L. Frederick said…
Hello, Kyle. Interesting.

Folks, I checked out Kyle's blog and he's got some good stuff on it at www.socialhumorbutterfly.com/blog.html. Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

15 Albums That Changed My Life, Not That You Asked

Shovel Trouble

Anizo 100% Reality Mind