My Joke Collection (#15)

Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear.
—Dave Barry (website)

Hee hee. The way Dave writes reminds me of a teen or a pre-teen. There's an innocence to the way he cobbles words and thoughts together to make reading fun. Day after day, week after week, year after year he makes humor writing look effortless through his endless supply of newspaper columns. Simplicity bubbles up from great skill, like an underwater fart.

Reminds me of a story: When the famous artist Robert Motherwell switched to painting abstract art he got all kinds of guff over it. Many argued that his new style wasn't even art. When a disappointed viewer made fun of Motherwell, asking how long it took him to paint that ugly picture, Motherwell answered that it took him 20 years to learn to paint like that.

Click here for more info about this joke collection thing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
God, I'd love to have Barry's talent
P.L. Frederick said…
You've got something even better: your own talent!

But any of us only gets so far on talent, even ol' Dave. Consistant effort is the key to success. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

There's an interesting bit by Dave Barry and his obsessive writing called On Writing (on learner.org). Also, I highly recommend the workbook, Comedy Writing Workbook by Gene Perret. I'm working on it right now. I did an earlier post on it called I Can Learn To Be Funny? I'm still on the first assignment. If you get or have the book, let me know. Be cool to know someone else who's doing it, at the same time as me.

Popular posts from this blog

You're On My Mind, For $1,000

Anizo 100% Reality Mind