What's The Diff Between Cartoons And Comics?

The criteria used by Trina Robbins in her book, “A Century of Women Cartoonists,” is: “My definition: it’s a comic if it includes even one of the following—two or more panels, continuity, or speech balloons inside the panel.” I was not aware of the distinction. So, like, most of the stuff in The New Yorker would be cartoons, while Sunday newspapers carry comic strips.

Here is a handy-dandy chart so’s we can remember:

CARTOON
COMIC
Fart Jar
Woman on beach holding scared little dog. Big, toothed, snarling dog growls at them. The dog's owner, far off, smiles and hollars, He just wants to play!
Rats live in cities because people's feet smell like expensive cheeses.
Tastebuds are little dictators.
Snailboni (cochlea zambonica)

Do you think, judging by my work above, that I’m better at comics or at cartoons? I’d very much appreciate knowing what you think. Please comment!

Comments

Mason said…
Now THIS is useful information! All the time I've spent surfing the internet and all I needed to do was visit Small and Big! I really am glad to have found you. You're a hoot and a half. You've been added to my blogroll.
Hey, what's the difference between a lake and a pond?
Bill White said…
With all due respect to Ms. Robbins, any picture, be it one panel or dozens, that tells a story is a "cartoon" or "comic".

You are good at either. Choose your own moniker.
bem69 said…
I think you're great with any one of those. I've been lurking around here and I like your illustration style. :)
P.L. Frederick said…
Wow, thanks everyone! I'll do post more practicing on both, that way the percentage of blah in one versus the other will make your decision clearer.

In other news: my plot worked. A lurker was flushed out.

Popular posts from this blog

Shovel Trouble

15 Albums That Changed My Life, Not That You Asked

The Thing About A Sting